Shigaraki Ceramic Cultural Park

Monday, May 18, 2009

Back in March when I was in Japan, I went to Shigaraki to visit the Ceramic Cultural Park. I took about 5 different trains from Nara to get there. It's located in an isolated area that is definitely off the beaten path.

The town of Shigaraki itself is a ceramic town with countless
studios, kilns, galleries and shops. Ceramics were everywhere!!



I headed straight to the Ceramic Cultural Park, and visited the museum, exhibition hall and the institute.

They took me on a tour of their impressive artist-in-residence facilities and kilns. A few years back they discovered an old climbing kiln and were just in the process of test-firing it, in collaboration with some ceramic artists in Japan.




Shigaraki is well-known for production of "tanuki" figures. They are a kind of racoon/badger that often appears in Japanese folklore as transformative beings. These little (and gigantic) figures were absolutely everywhere! Is this where my obsession comes from? Hmmmm....

1 comments:

Aki said...

I'm very excited to go to Shigaraki with you and Yu next year!!