Ten thousand hours

Saturday, July 25, 2009

To become highly skilled at most any endeavor, Richard Sennet in The Craftsman writes that one must practice for 10,000 hours. That equates to about 3 hours a day for 10 years.

I came to art-making in my late 30s, finally deciding to apply to Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design , after many years of feeling like it was too late. I had become so good at hiding my desire to make art that my partner, Aki, didn't even know about it. It's true that our longings can become a mystery even to ourselves.

After telling Aki that I'd wanted to practice art since my late teens but I felt it was too late, she pointed out that there was a pretty high likelihood that I'd still feel the same way 10 years later. Then it finally clicked and I realized that my longings weren't just going to go away.

From that point on, one thing led to the next and I was soon on my way.

But, I did get a late start so I'd better get to work! :)

0 comments: